Real Bikers Nod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Can I get any dumber?

3 posters

Go down

Can I get any dumber? Empty Can I get any dumber?

Post by Major Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:24 pm

To cut story short, yesterday in Chesterfield, when I set off from traffic lights, my bike started to act strangely. Tail was pulling to the right, and I couldn't accelerate, something was fooked. I managed to stay upright anyway, pulled her onto footpath to see and I'm telling you guys - check twice all nuts and bolts after service.

Axle came off at one side, chain came off, wheel was at quite sharp angle to the rest of the bike.

I lost axle nut, washer, spacer and chain adjuster. In pockets no phone, no numbers, just some cash. Quick walk back allowed me to get chain adjuster back, but I had to push her for some distance (mile?). I went into car bodywork repair station where nice gent borrowed me tools and some old, unwanted washers and nut. I packed it all up and managed to get back home. Already ordered replacements.

Cause - after I adjusted chain, forgot, to tighten up axle nut.....

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Can I get any dumber? Empty Re: Can I get any dumber?

Post by Reaper Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:26 pm

Oops! ! That could have been a lot more expensive ( and dangerous) that it was. Glad you and bike still in one piece. Very Happy Laughing
Reaper
Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:29 pm

Yeah, I am glad it happened just after lights turned green, at 30 or 40mph I'd would come off for sure.

So much for not being ignorant... Razz Ehhh, we learn through the lifetime, don't we. And thanks god for creation of Brooks Barn. With postage 12.03 for missing bits and few fairing grommets.

So far I didn't see any more damages. Everything went back in by hands only, so there is good chance repair will consist of putting parts in and fookin tightening them up!
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by Reaper Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:59 pm

Yep, and this time, double check you've tightened everything Laughing Laughing
Reaper
Reaper

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMadRatter Fri Feb 06, 2015 2:18 am

We have two rear axles, 4 spacers, 4 washers, and one nut for the fazer Razz Came home one day and found the rear wheel shifting when I cornered, noticed the nut was gone Surprised Soonafter (about a week) I felt a knocking against the sprocket cover and found the sprocket retaining nut had spun off and foxtrot oscar'd. £3 and a ginger ride over to CMC and I find out it was a common problem with after-market sprockets because they were wider and didn't allow you to put the lock washer on. 5 minutes on the mill and the lock washer fits back on perfect Razz

I did that same as you - forgot to tighten them properly (and to check them after 10 miles lol)
TheMadRatter
TheMadRatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:13 am

This kind of makes me feel better - knowing it's not only me Razz.

But that was one of the most valuable lessons I learnt so far. Won't do that again!
Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMadRatter Fri Feb 06, 2015 3:33 pm

Hehe - yeah I know a couple of people who've done it lol. Worst one was a GL1500 with sidecar and 3 of the wheel bolts sheared on the rear wheel - thankfully, we were only doing about 15mph round a roundabout lol
TheMadRatter
TheMadRatter

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum