Real Bikers Nod
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

help needed pls

3 posters

Go down

help needed pls Empty help needed pls

Post by kissofdeath Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:21 pm

i have a 2008 v-strom 1000 gt, and other the last 8/9 months i have had an intermittent fault on it. the problem is it keeps losing lecy. it has had a new rad cooler fan swith, 3 reg/rec new battery, new ignition switch( after some git tried to nick it), new starter relay and a new fly wheel as it was discovered 1 of the magnets had come off. it has been in and out of the mechanics garage but no one seems to know what else to try. im a member of the vstrom forum and have asked on there but again no one knows, so thought i would ask here in case any one has had similar

thx in advance

kissofdeath
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

help needed pls Empty Re: help needed pls

Post by Major Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Did you do any mods to wiring at all?

Major
Major

Back to top Go down

Post by kissofdeath Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:40 pm

only mods that have been done are adding a satnav mount and charger and adding a usb point, but it still happens when the have been disconnected

sry 4got to add them

kissofdeath
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMadRatter Mon Feb 02, 2015 2:37 am

Hey kissofdeath, welcome to the forum.

You say you've had 3 reg/recs - can I ask why - did they blow, or fail?? If they did, I would look towards the stator generator or the reg/rec earthing points. Sounds to me like the battery is being discharged just slower than your stator can charge it.

Here's a really handy PDF if you're useful with a volt-meter (or know someone who is).

>>>Click Here<<<

I'd also check (by which I mean remove, clean, grease and re-fit) all the earthing points for the bike (battery, engine, frame etc) as a matter of course.
TheMadRatter
TheMadRatter

Back to top Go down

Post by kissofdeath Tue Feb 03, 2015 12:47 am

1st was replaced as the mechanic thought that was the problem
2nd was done because he noticed a drop in volts while testing( then realized it still did it and was the fly wheel magnets
3rd because he thought it may have been screwed by the signal from the faulty fly wheel. I must state that i have only paid for 1 though

kissofdeath
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by TheMadRatter Tue Feb 03, 2015 3:19 am

At least you haven't had to pay for it 3 times! If your Mech got a drop in voltage that was cured by the pick up magnets then I'd take a look at the stator anyway.

Pass that PDF on to your mechanic - if they only use it for your bike - well that's still a bonus and it's helped me diagnose charging faults on many, many bikes Razz

Last edited by TheMadRatter on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheMadRatter
TheMadRatter

Back to top Go down

Post by kissofdeath Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 am

ok thx

kissofdeath
Premium Member

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content